Aloha ladies! The fifth edition of India Beach Fashion Week is currently going on at Marriott Resort and Spa, Goa. Designers from across India are showcasing collections that range from beachwear to resort wear. On the second day of this season, designer duo Sukriti and Aakriti Grover will be showcasing their Autumn/Winter 17 collection. Inspired by flora and fauna of the Mughal era, the designers have contemporised this theme through their line Daiquiri Hangover. We got in touch with them to know more before they showcase their collection. Excerpts from an interview.
1. Last season, you inspired the boho bride with sunset hues. What different can we expect in terms of colours and silhouettes in this season’s collection titled Daiquiri Hangover?
This season, we will see a lot more print and colours, varying from blue to mustard and pink (it’s the shades of Daiquiri cocktails). We’ve got botanical prints that include flora, fauna, birds, animals, etc. There are plenty of ways to mimic the tropical feel, and we have explored that through this season’s collection.
2. What are the techniques that you have used in this collection?
We have stuck to the brand staple of using organic cotton. The fabrics have been block printed this time and have a touch of gota work, something that we specialise in.
3. Like you mentioned, this collection is going to be about all about botanical prints. While it’s one of the most-used themes sartorially, where did you seek inspiration from?
For this particular collection, we have taken inspiration from the botanical prints of the Mughal era.
4. You work as a duo and there might have been struggles while creating a collection. If so, how did you tackle them?
Being sisters, we deal with the struggles. It’s been a lifetime of agreements and disagreements like most other siblings, and so we manage it well. We divide our work responsibilities in an organised manner, and that ensures we focus and concentrate on our respective areas. The challenge this time was to make something different yet maintain the basic aesthetics of the brand.
5. What, according to you, are some of the perfect attires when attending a wedding?
When attending a wedding, it’s important to wear something light and comfortable yet festive and dressy. Wear something that you can dance in, all night long… without the outfight weighing you down. It’s about beautifully achieving that perfect balance.
6. Tell us what the current trends for the season are when it comes to bridalwear?
The current trends of the season are fusion gowns; it is the perfect choice for the cocktail night or your wedding reception.Also, these are a beautiful blend of both contemporary and traditional designs. Then there’s the floor-length anarkalis, which adds that perfect touch of grandeur and some drama. There’s also pastel or vibrant-toned ghararas. Even jackets… while this might sound quite unusual at first, but you can wear a jacket on any of your wedding functions and still look super-savvy. In fact, it’s is a great option for ‘winter brides’. Then there’s the long choli or shirts with lehengas.
7. Lastly, Kriti Sanon walked the ramp for you at IBFW ’16. Who can we expect as showstopper this time?
The young and dynamic Evelyn Sharma will be walking the ramp as showstopper this season.